The Institute for Technology and Society invites researchers, students and professionals working with technology policy to apply to ITS Global Policy Fellowship Program and spend four weeks* in Brazil at ITS. Last year, we welcomed six fellows, who gave valuable contributions to the success of the Fellowship Program. Our Global Fellows will have the opportunity to work with the team who created and developed Brazil’s Internet Bill of Rights (Marco Civil da Internet), a bill that guarantees and promotes the protection of fundamental rights, including privacy, net neutrality and freedom of expression, which entered into force in Brazil in April 2014. Furthermore, they will be able to choose one of our four main areas of work to develop their research in, namely:
The ITS Fellowship Program will offer the opportunity for those interested in internet and technology
policy to deepen their knowledge about the Brazilian technology context. We have prepared an intensive
4-week* program for our fellows, which includes meeting ITS partners in Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo in
order to have the opportunity to visit some of the largest national and international technology companies
operating in Brazil as well as governmental entities and exchange ideas, projects and research with those institutions.
See the list of our former fellows here
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
We are looking for MBA, Master’s, and PhD students, researchers, and professionals who are following the debates in the public policy field, and who want to spend part of their summer or winter in Brazil, learning about Internet policy. People from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Registration valid only for foreigners
- Portuguese skills are not required (but English is mandatory)
- We’ll reserve two positions for NoC’s researchers
- Application deadline: March 10th, 2019;
- Announcement of fellows by e-mail: April 08th, 2019;
- Fellowship Program: starts June 24th, and finishes in July 19th, 2019;
- Fellows are expected to stay in Rio from June 24th to July 19th. Fellows can coordinate with ITS the possibility of staying for a longer term before or after this period if they wish. Visa and related costs for additional stay should be arranged by the fellows.
FELLOWS WILL BE EXPECTED TO
- Make a short presentation to ITS’s team about their research topics and professional experiences;
- Publish at least one short article or web post about their experience as a fellow in Brazil;
- Collaborate with ITS’s team and its projects and publications;
- Engage in talks and meetings with lawyers, public agents, press and industry representatives on their topic;
- Identify research projects with ITS team;
- Give a lecture during the summer school (International School of Law and Technology) organized by ITS with the partnership of the University of Montréal, addressing the areas of law and technology that will take place in Rio de Janeiro (the class plan should be ready or in the process of being ready by the time fellows arrive in Brazil)*
FELLOWSHIP PACKAGE INCLUDES
- Flight tickets to São Paulo and accomodation in São Paulo during the days of our visit;
- Shared office space at our headquarters for four weeks*;
- An one-week course with immersion in subjects related to law and technology;
- Intensive 4-week* program for the fellows:
01st week: Introduction to the ITS fellows and their own projects + introduction to the ITS team and to ITS projects;
02nd week: International School of Law and Technology (a one-week immersion course in subjects related to law and technology + fellows lectures);
03rd week: Trip to São Paulo (including visits to some of the largest national and international technology companies operating in Brazil);
04th week: Meetings with ITS partners in Rio de Janeiro + fellowship brainstorming and feedback;
FELLOWSHIP PACKAGE DOES NOT INCLUDE
- International traveling to and from Brazil;
- Accommodation during the four weeks* in Rio de Janeiro, where our program takes place;
- Other costs related to your stay in Brazil, besides those mentioned above.
- Visa fees (if necessary).
- Our team will provide information about how to find accommodation in the city during the fellows’ stay.